26 Oct Top 5 major attractions in Oslob, Philippines
Top 5 major attractions in Oslob, Philippines
The Philippines has grown really popular in tourism lately, as there’s just so much activities that can be done all through the country. One of the most popular places to visit in the country at the moment would have to be Oslob, which is a municipal in the Province of Cebu. It is popular for its whale sharks where people from all over the world fly thousands of miles just to witness it. However, there are so many destinations this country has to offer that you without a doubt should consider to visit.
Oslob is the host to Sumilon Island which is where the majority of attractions happen since it is a 24 hectare coral island that has a resort developed to maintain an Eco-friendly environment. Oslob is also a very popular spot among tourists where they come to swim with the whale sharks. The way the tourism is operated not only in Oslob but in all of the Philippines is quite simple, you check in, pay the needed fees, and enjoy your vacation. The country is well known for its casualty, but don’t mistaken it for a lack of safety. They have high quality security to ensure that you stay safe while you swim with the sharks which ensures that you won’t be harmed as you are having the time of your life.
This island is the first ever marine protected area in the country and was made to be a marine sanctuary back in the 70’s, and was guided by the Siliman University in Negros Oriental. The island is most popular for its deep beautiful dive sites four of the most known ones include the Nikki’s Wall, Garden Eel Plaza, Julie’s Rock, and the Coral Landscape. The reefs and abundant tropical species is what makes this place so stunning, and the history of this island is just beyond beautiful.
Top 5 major attractions in Oslob, Philippines
- 5: The Cuartel. The Cuartel was a home built to house Spanish troops who were assigned to stay in Oslob, but then the Americans came over and those from Spain left. However, the unfinished barracks haven’t been removed making it a very unique part of history that’s now a tourist attraction. The barracks are made of very thick coral blocks and have remained perfectly intact despite enduring war, earthquakes, and constant typhoons. This house may have a very rugged and old atmosphere, but the scenery is simply breathtaking.
- 4: Baluarte. The Baluarte offers seven different fortified watchtowers that were installed right along the coastline in Oslob to defend the stratagem against all sorts of Moro attacks. The defense mechanism system was to provide efficiency back in 1815 and was good defense against pirates trying to take the area. One of the main and most popular towers would have to be the Baluarte which now serves as the historic centerpiece right on the bay side park. Bringing your family to this destination will be a wonderful educational experience plus a wonderful photo-op opportunity since the view is impeccable here.
- 3: Tumalog Falls. Many people at first think that the Tumalog Falls are just your regular waterfalls, but it certainly is way more than your average falls. This place is tucked quite deep in the mountains in Oslob and offers a breathtaking cascade of super clear crystal waters that poor into a basin of chill water surrounded by a montage of tropical greens. The main raw grandeur of these falls will leave anyone speechless. After swimming with the sharks, come here and have a little picnic to relax.
- 2: Parish Church of The Immaculate Conception. The construction of this historical church was made during the 19th century and though it has suffered damage throughout the years, it still remains as beautiful and stunning as ever. This church faced its biggest damage back in 1942 during the Japanese occupation fire damage. Right when you enter this church, you’ll really appreciate the history of the wreckage and the beauty of the statues and paintings. Whether your religious or not, this place definitely is worth adding to your things to do list.
- 1: Swimming with the whale sharks, Oslob, Philippines. The number 1 attraction in Oslob would definitely have to be the whale sharks for sure. Seeing the beautiful whale sharks swim in Oslob Cebu will probably be the most magical thing you witness. These whale sharks usually are in tiny barangay Tan-awans and are 10km away from the town’s center. This whole attraction began in 2011 and increasingly became more popular as news outlets took notice. Tourists came from all over not only to see the sharks but to dive or snorkel with them as well.
How to save money while visiting Oslob, Philippines
The Philippines in general has a very low cost of living and you can live and feel like royalty even if you’re on a budget. People generally spend the most money on food, but luckily there are countless affordable places to eat in Oslob. From the canto canto (outdoor street) stalls to the mall restaurants, you are bound to find some delicious eats for as low as $1 a plate. Transportation is also quite accessible to everyone in Oslob, from the jeepneys to the tricycles and from the taxi cabs to boats, you won’t find it difficult to get around at all. The transportation from one place to the other depending on your choice of transport will cause anywhere from 10 pesos to 100 pesos (5 cents to $2) for about a 30 minute ride.
Tips on how to get around in Oslob
The best way to get around in Oslob quick and easily would have to be through tricycle, and the reason why is because they are so tiny and can go through traffic with ease. Since you are a tourist it is always recommended to have a trusty guide along with you. They usually don’t charge much and they will provide you some great advice on popular destinations to visit. You can always take a taxi, but bare in mind that the taxis usually do like to overcharge tourists so having a local with you may be recommended to avoid problems.
The amount of things you can do and see in Oslob, Philippines are endless. The people, the scenery, and the food are just a couple reasons why this place is paradise. You won’t regret having your next vacation here, as there will never be a dull moment at this heaven on earth. So don’t wait any longer to book your flight to Oslob, Philippines to make memories that’ll last a lifetime. There really is no place that can compare to the Philippines and there’s no city better to visit and have fun at then Oslob.